Pineapple is one of our favourite fruits where making a dessert is concerned. That and Lemon!
So, when I saw Jamie Oliver producing a dessert which involved fresh pineapple with fresh mint mixed with sugar sprinkled over it, of course I had to have a go.
Wow! If you've not tried it, put a pineapple on your shopping list right now.
FRESH PINEAPPLE WITH MINT SUGAR
A fresh pineapple
A small bunch of fresh mint
2 tbsp granulated sugar
Cream, to serve
1. Cut the bristly top and the hoary bottom from your pineapple, then sit it on it's freshly cut bottom and go around it cutting the peel off from top to bottom. You can generally remove the "eyes" as you go, using this method. Watch out for pips, too. (Who'd have thought that pineapples had pips!).
2. Cut your pineapple in half from top to bottom and each piece in half, until you've got four wedges.
3. Take each wedge and cut off the woody centre section and discard (but don't forget to have a nibble on them before you chuck them away - cook's perks, and all that!). Then cut each wedge into bite-sized sections.
4. Remove the mint leaves from the stalks and discard the stalks. Chop the leaves finely, then add to the sugar and toss to infuse with the mint.
5. Sprinkle the minty sugar over the pineapple, then cover and leave to chill in the fridge.
6. Serve with fresh cream.