11 December 2011

Chilli Chorizo Beans - not exactly a hit!

I found this recipe care of the daily email from One Recipe Daily and knowing that Hubby tends to enjoy dishes cooked with a) chorizo and b) chilli together with beans forming a good part of his diet, thought it had the potential to be a hit.

The recipe is one of Antony Worrall Thompson's and it's amazing how the majority of his recipes that I've tried, we haven't liked for one reason or another.

Now I have to say that I thought that this recipe was okay.  Not earth shattering or delicious, but just okay.  I found it hard to wade my way through because I didn't have any bread to eat it with - which I suspect would have made it easier.

Hubby found it incredibly salty - which surprised me because unless the salt came from the chorizo or the three rashers of bacon, I am mystified where it came from - as I didn't add any and didn't opt to use any stock, so we can't even blame it on that.  He also said that he would have found it easier to eat had it have been accompanied by rice instead of bread, as the rice would have calmed down both the salt and the acidity of the tomatoes.

Son & heir ate all his chorizo pieces & bread, then ate as few of the beans as he thought he could get away with.

I think it comes down to the fact that the dish was unbalanced.  The acidity of the tomatoes isn't controlled by the muscovado sugar and when you add chilli to the mix, it tends to accentuate both acidity and saltiness.  I suspect I could titivate around with the recipe and balance it up so as to be acceptable, but the end result just didn't seem to be worth it.

So, on the whole, I won't be repeating the recipe here.  I have to say, that my end result looked nothing like the photograph of the dish on the recipe.  Either I did something cataclysmically wrong (and having re-read the recipe, I can't see where) or there's something intrinsically not right (for us - not necessarily for everyone) with the recipe.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive messages from you all, so if you can spare the time, comment away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...